Wednesday, June 25, 2008

That's really the best you could do?

As a realtor, I am always looking for homes on the Multiple Listing Service. Whether for myself,for a client, or just for fun... I spend a little time (or a lot) each day on the MLS.

Now, in order to get your home onto the MLS, a Realtor MUST list it for you. Typically, a Reatlor charges 3% of what you end up selling your home for to sell your home. (and that's only Their fee)

That's a lot of cash.

That is why I have a hard time understanding some of the appalling things I see on the MLS daily.

What I've learned from being a buyer, and a buyer's agent - is that the most important thing to put on a listing is a good description, and GREAT pictures. (This is why I hire a professional photographer to take photos for all of my listings... absolutely worth the $50!). I also keep myself awake at night thinking about what to write in the property descriptions. It's just THAT important.

Here is a small sampling of what I found the other night while doing a pretty routine search:

Property Descriptions:

"fRESH PAINT IN HOUSE AND TRIM INCLUDING
DOORS AND BATH. kITCHEN REPAINTED BUT NOT CABINETS. aLARM DOES NOT WORK. NICE YARD GOOD STORAGE IN CARPORT. WASHER IN KITCHEN. Clean. GREAT YARD"



  • My first complaint is that they left their caps lock key on, and still shifted for the beginning of each sentence, making the first letter of every sentence lower case, and the rest upper. Did they not re read this?
  • The agent thought that the first thing someone would want to know about this particular home, is that the trim has been painted???
  • Why point out the fact that the cabinets have not been repainted, or that they alarm doesn't work?

  • Points out the nice yard.... then points out the great yard

  • Storage in a carport? Isn't a carport outside?
  • Last I heard, the washer in the kitchen was not exactly a selling feature
  • Everything is capitalized - except for the this sentence: Clean.


"Mr. Clean live here, excellent condition, 2 bedrooms upstair
and 2 bedrooms down, a lot of space for big family, convert garage, 4-5 years
old AC, newly paint & tiles, "

  • Mr. Clean live here?

  • 2 bedroom upstair?

  • Convert garage?

  • Newly paint & tiles?
"DONT MISS THIS HOME!!!!!!!!!! ,NEW PAINT IN AND OUT SIDE
AND MORE................"
  • I love the use of punctuation in this one!

  • I guess they're hoping the suspense of just putting "more" might get someone out there to look at it

"No seller's disclosure, a second living and kithchen with
has been striped of all fixtures is added to the back of the property access is
through the garage or the backyard"

  • I don't even know what this means!

"Crown moldings on all rooms. It really looks like
new"

  • This was the only thing written about the house in the description!

PICTURES:

I'm not sure what they are trying to point out in this picture. The wall paper border perhaps?





I can forgive that this room is just an ugly room... that's not the Reatlor's fault. But could they not help it out by fixing the blinds?

Not only did someone take this picture... but they thought that it was good enough to actually use! They intentionally uploaded this picture. I think it's a bathroom :-)

4 comments:

jennypen said...

Funny stuff! You should also include some of the older funny ones - like what you should bring when viewing the house.

GloryandGrace said...

I'm laughing so hard right now I had to share it with my co-workers :)

Amber said...

Hahahahaaahaaaa... This is Amber. We met at GloryandGrace's wedding last January. She told me to check out this post, and it is hilarious! I hope our realtor does a much better job with our listing than these! (We are currently trying to sell our condo to move back South.) Congrats on your pregnancy, btw.

Anonymous said...

Too funny!

Janelle

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails